Subject: Re: Speaking of modeling rods
From: Ted Stethem <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 1996 10:18:36 -0800

On Sat, 6 Apr 1996, Donald Drennan wrote:

> 
> I may have to model a cylinder/piston assembly from a car engine myself soon.
> 
> Does anyone know of any models of such a thing already in existance?
> 
> I have to show dirt build-up in and around the valves. I've seen similar
> illustrations in many oil commercials.
> 
> If I could find a model of the inside of an engine it would make my job
> much simpler.
> 
  
  Geez, I was just trying to be facetious with my answer to what was 
generally perceived as an overly simplistic question, and I was also 
trying to raise the possibility that the questioner was possibly asking 
for something more complicated, but then it appears a few people got bent 
out of shape over that (kind of like a bent rod? yikes, enuff already).
  Anyway, I seem to remember a pretty detailed 4-cylinder engine object 
being put up on Aminet several months ago.  I know I downloaded it and 
have it somewhere. It was a work in progress but had pistons that moved 
up and down, timing gears, and if I remember correctly, working valves. 
But I think it was an Imagine cycle object. I will try to dig it up if I 
can find it or, in the meantime, you might try searching Aminet with 
their search engine. There was also another engine project put up there 
but I definitely remember that being a Real3D object. I think the guy put 
up a demo render or animation if you just wanted to view what it looks like.
Hope this is of some help and some restitution for the "rod" debacle.